Animal Control Services

For Animal Control emergencies, questions or comments, call 641.5990.
After hours, call 911. If a vicious dog is running at large, law enforcement personnel are dispatched and will respond to the call. Also, 911 Dispatch will contact the on-call Animal Control Officer to assist in the emergency.

Please reserve general questions and inquiries for the business day.

The Animal Control Services Section of the Guilford County Department of Public Health is responsible for enforcing State laws and County ordinances pertaining to animal control, animal cruelty, and abuse in the rural areas of Guilford County, the City of Greensboro, as well as the Town of Jamestown. The primary goals of the Animal Control Program are to:

    • enforce animal control laws picking up stray and unwanted animals,
    • providing informational services to the public concerning animal control,
    • and by issuing citations.

Want to read the 2010 Updated version of the Guilford County's Animal Control Ordinance? Here's a link to download the latest update.

Check out our Rabies page for more details on the latest news, what to do for wild or domestic animal attack and bite of humans or your domestic pet and how to prevent the spread of Rabies.

Animal Control receives numerous inquiries about wildlife. Yes, coyotes are here in Guilford County. Are you seeing them or raccoons or bats in your neighborhood or along the woodlines? What is considered normal behavior for these animals? Are they looking for food, water or are they exhibiting signs of illness? Are they eating the fruit from your trees, eating the goldfish from your pond or drinking from your bird bath? Is there construction in the area? Here are some authoritative sources on wildlife.

    • Coyotes
    • Raccoons
    • Bats
    • Co-Existing with Wildlife

If wildlife is causing damage to your property, or maybe, you simply want the wildlife removed, contact a private firm for a consultation. Here's a list for animal relocation services in Greensboro and the surrounding area.

Is there a nuisance dog or cat in your neighborhood? Is the pet allowed to run at large? Or maybe it is a stray? If so, contact Animal Control, provide us with as much information as possible. While we can't be at every corner to watch for domestic animals running at large, we respond and investigate your concern. If we can find the owner of the animal, we will talk with the owner and, if necessary, we will issue citations for violations of the Animal Control Ordinance. Violations of the Animal Control ordinance vary with the maximum fine being $500 per incident per animal for vicious animals while the most common fine being in the range of $25- $100 for dogs running at large.

Cats, cats, cats. What's the deal with cats running at large? Can they? Is there a leash law for cats? Animal Control advocates for responsible pet ownership. Responsible pet ownership includes keeping cats under control of an owner. The Animal Control ordinance does not mandate a leash for cats. Therefore, cats can run at large, however, when a cat becomes a nuisance to an adjoining neighbor, a walker or jogger, Animal Control can take steps to investigate and trap the nuisance cat(s). If an owner can be found, we will issue a citation.

Have you seen a domestic animal not being watered, fed or provided with adequate shelter? Animal Control investigates allegations of animal cruelty. We assign an Animal Control Officer (ACO) to the case. The disposition of the case is left to the professional judgement of the ACO. All steps are taken to identify an owner. Appropriate and proportional legal action can be an end result in the investigation.

Animal Control provides the service of at home rabies vaccinations. One of our certified rabies vaccinators will set up an appointment with you to come to your residence and vaccinate your animals for $5.00 per animal. Download the following Home Visit for Rabies Shots application, complete the requested information and return to us including a money order or personal check (no cash) to our office. We are sorry but our officers cannot collect any form of payment in the field. The completed application along with payment must be submitted to our office before an at home rabies appointment will be set.

© 2014 Guilford County Government - All Rights Reserved

County Footer Image