North Carolina General Statute 130A-93© specifies who is entitled to obtain a certified copy as follows:
• A person requesting a copy of the person’s own vital records or that of the person’s spouse, sibling, direct ancestor (child or grandchild) or descendent (parents or grandparents) or stepparent or stepchild;
• A person seeking information for a legal determination of personal or property rights; or
• An authorized agent, attorney or legal representative of a person described above.
Under North Carolina Law (G.S. 130A-26A), it is a felony violation to fraudulently request a certified copy of a vital record or obtain, possess, sell, furnish, use, or attempt to use for any purpose of deception a North Carolina birth certificate.
In order to obtain a certified copy of a vital record you must present an acceptable form of a picture identification that shows name. Examples are state issued driver’s licenses, state issued id card and passports. Identification is also requested for uncertified copies of a Vital record.
You may either come into our office at the BB&T Building, 201 West Market Street, 2nd Floor, Greensboro, N.C. or 325 East Russell Avenue, High Point, N.C. You can also obtain a copy by mail or online using a credit or debit card.
Online Request (requires credit/debit card):
Copies are $10.00 plus $1.00 processing fee for each certified copy.
Click here to request a copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate.
Come in to either the High Point or Greensboro office. You will need to present picture identification and fill out a request form.
Certified copies are $10.00 each and uncertified copies in person are $.05 each. There is no charge for the first copy of the birth certificate for applicants age 61 or older, or to record or obtain a certified copy of a military discharge record.
Guilford County accepts cash in denominations of $50.00 or less or checks or money orders made payable to “Register of Deeds”
No counter checks and/or funds drawn from an out of country bank will be accepted.
Mail In Requests:
Send your information with check or money order in the correct amount to:
REGISTER OF DEEDS
VITAL RECORDS SECTION
P.O. BOX 3427 GREENSBORO, NC 27402-3427
The cost of all certified copies of vital records is $10.00 per copy. The costs of uncertified copies are $1.00 per page if by mail. There is no charge for the first copy of the birth certificate for applicants age 61 or older. Guilford County accepts cash, checks or money orders made payable to “Register of Deeds”. Your request will be processed within three working days upon receipt.
NOTE: YOUR REQUEST WILL NOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT AN ORIGINAL SIGNATURE; THEREFORE, WE CANNOT ACCEPT REQUESTS BY E-MAIL OR FAX.
Click here to download the form to request a copy of a birth, death, or marriage record. Please send the completed form along with a copy of your picture ID to the address above.
If unable to download request form, please provide a written request including the following information, along with your picture ID and signature:
• Full Name on Certificate • Date of Birth • Mother's Full Maiden Name • Father's Full Name • Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is Requested • Your Signature
• Full Name of Deceased • Date of Death • Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is Requested • Your Signature
• Full Name for Each Spouse • Full Name Prior to the First Marriage, if applicable • Date of Marriage • Your Relationship to the Person whose Certificate is Requested • Your Signature
Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office. Contact information is listed under the General Information section.
Register of Deeds Office
8 AM - 5 PM
201 West Market Street
P.O. Box 3427
Greensboro, NC 27402
325 East Russell Avenue
P.O. Box 1467
High Point, NC 27260